OK...call me weird, but this yogurt made my day. Let me tell you why... I have this annoying tendency to think I can make certain things "easier" by doing them myself. For example, cloth diapers (save $, the environment and waste) and making granola (because I can never find a brand that isn't too sweet.) Plus, I just take satisfaction in doing as much on my own as I can...because what if all the Huggies and cereal factories blow up? :) Anyway, as you can imagine, this doesn't always make life easier. Nevertheless, I enjoy the challenge. So I've been making our own yogurt off and on for a couple years, unsuccessfully. It's always too runny, which I don't mind and is fine for smoothies, but to the kids it's a mess running off the spoon. I tried everything, I thought, from adjusting the time and method of letting it "cook" to experimenting with several different natural thickeners (I can't eat gelatin since I learned it was made of horse hooves.) Well, I read another "recipe" for yogurt that gave two hints no one else had bothered to mention, both of which I tried and the yogurt came out PERFECT! It was thick and creamy and so delicious, especially with the juicy mango I cut up to go in it. If I were a diabetic for the rest of my life, I would eat this for dessert every day! YUMMY!!
2 comments:
Yippee!! So, just out of curiosity, what were the tips? Unless you want to keep them your trade secret...
Oh, no, after all that, I'll tell the world! 1) heat the milk to 180. I always just heated it in the mic. for about 8 minutes, which several books recommended. 2) add only 1 T of starter (I had been adding atleast 3 T, which several books also recommended.) So, there you go! Simple solutions, huh?
PS...Sam saw your pic here and said, "Who's that? She looks young!" :)
Post a Comment