Friday, January 05, 2007
Mothering Musings
A good friend emailed the other day to say they are now expecting their fourth child. This while doing everything in their power to prevent another pregnancy. I joked with Brian to beware, because everything that happens to them seems to come our way next. Her mother-in-law had some amazing wisdom: “Embracing children is one way we are different then the world. Seeing children as a blessing makes us stand out.” I have to remind myself of this today as it is 2:24 pm and all I have to show for it is one load of laundry, three bathed kids, and a grumpy attitude. I told Brian that I am so discouraged because every day I realize that what I want to see changed in my kids I first have to change in myself. It is very hard to change. God help me. Maybe this is why God reminds us that children are a blessing. They have touched deep, unexplored parts of me that would have otherwise been ignored. They are his instrument of sanctification, I truly believe. So, although we are hoping it will be quite a while until another one comes along, please, God, help me to see how my children are a blessing and to know that no matter how hard we might try to avoid it, you want to bless us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amy,
I have thought this same thought many times: How is my son going to Christ-like person that I want him to be when I'm so far from that ideal? It has brought me to despair many times which makes me wonder if it's a thought is coming from God. My mom always said that conviction from God brings hope and condemnation from the enemy brings despair. She definitely knew many moments of despair when raising us. She was very ill when I was young and she told me later that she had to yell her instructions to us because she was afraid if we didn't hear her the first time she wouldn't have enough breath to repeat it for a really long time. She said she was afraid we'd be scarred by the yelling and I suppose she thought we'd become yelling parents ourselves. I think she was surprised when I told her that I don't remember the yelling at all and I certainly haven't become a yeller myself. God's grace is in that and thankfully, God's grace isn't just for the critically ill mother at death's door. It's also for the mother and father who haven't yet become saints. If I can't be an example by being a saint, hopefully I can at least show him an example of God's grace with a very imperfect mother.
Hebrews 4:16:
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Ang,
Thanks. I needed to hear this.
Amy
i love what both of you wrote.
you put it into words very well.
Post a Comment