What is it about weddings, anniversary celebrations, and, yes, funerals that bring so many emotions to the surface? I sometimes wish we could live more often with that heightened sense of bonding, appreciation, respect, and love that we feel at times like Saturday. We were all so grateful for Grandpa's life, legacy, and faith. We expressed our feelings, and what one person said reminded all the others of yet another aspect for which to be grateful. We felt bathed in God's blessing, undeserving but so thankful.
Dad and I want to thank all of you for the many ways you contributed to the days of celebrating Grandpa's life--from the food to the written and spoken words. They mean more than I can say. As someone who hadn't known Grandpa well said after the funeral, "I really feel as though I know who he was and how he lived." The blessing has been passed on to all of us--even to Sophie, with his last kiss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with what you said and found the whole experience pretty amazing. I keep thinking about something regarding Dad's life that makes me a little sad and wanted to express it. I feel he was born with a strong sense of independence and adventure. He ended up following the path of duty and responsibility and did it very well. Somewhere in there something was lost. I feel it was why he was drawn to Bette, why he didn't want to die (he hadn't done all he wanted to do) and why, although many of the choices that I made in my life were not the most popular, secretly he admired some of them. It's just a side of him that wasn't blatently obvious, but definitely there.
Post a Comment