Monday, October 02, 2006

Short Days

I've been feeling guilty about not posting more often, so I decided this was the night to appease my conscience. This has been one of the busiest times our family has ever had in Thailand. To give you an idea of what life is like these days, here's today's schedule for us.
6:20-Eric gets up, I sleepwalk, but go back to bed as I was up very, very late preparing for preschool today. I had no time to plan previously with the village trip (see our blog).
6:30-Gabe gets up and eats breakfast with Eric
7:30-Eric leaves for school and I get up and get ready to go
8:00-Stanley comes over so that I can drive him to preschool. My mom calls and I have only 10 minutes to talk (while I'm eating) before we have to leave. As I'm getting in the car, I hand the phone to Gabe so that he can talk to Grandpa about nail-guns and cars all the way to preschool.
8:20-Arrive at preschool
8:30-11:30-Teaching: This is one of the most exhausting and humbling parts of my life. I think I'm a better teacher this year, but it's still a huge challenge to keep up with the fast pace of preschool children. It's also continually humbling to see your child acting selfishly, unkindly & vengefully to other children. Actually, Gabe is a great kid and he is mostly sweet, helpful and fun, but sin will come to the surface and it's not fun to have other moms around to see it. The comfort is that all of our kids do it and that it's a great opportunity to teach about relating to others. All of us moms agree that what we see in our kids in a group is not what we normally see. In spite of the drain that teaching is, it's very rewarding. Last year, I had to focus mostly on Gabe's social behavior. This year, he's really ready to learn and since preschool started this year, he's just taken off in almost all areas.
12:30-I arrive home and feel like laying on the couch for the rest of the afternoon, especially since it's particularly hot today, but it's time to go to work. I can't skip Mondays as there is great demand for money on Mondays. On our way out we stop at Stanley's house and Bronwen & I talk more about preschool (it seems we talk about it 75% of the time).
1:30-Arrive at work. Talk to a bunch of people who have been waiting for me while Gabe talks to a bunch of people who have been waiting for him.
2:30-I have a meeting while Gabe watches a Peanuts video.
3:30-Do e-mails and other computer work while Gabe reenacts what he saw in the Peanuts video. It's very cute to watch him do this.
4:00-Eric gets home.
4:15-5:00-Eric plays in a frisbee golf intermural game
5:00-Gabe decides he's tired of playing at my office and wants to go home. I try to wrap things up with his help (he makes copies for me, gets me office supplies, fetches papers from the printer, etc.) but am hindered by lots of last-minute requests including one to stop by someone's house to decide if they are seriously ill or just kind of sick.
5:30-Eric leaves for a chapel team meeting over dinner.
6:00-Gabe & I finally leave the office and visit the sick person who is already recovering.
6:15-I take Gabe out to dinner for banana pancakes. We have a great time talking about the silly pictures on the walls.
6:45-Gabe & I go grocery shopping. He tells me what to buy and helps me get it weighed. For the last 10 minutes, he's singing "God is bigger than the bogeyman" and people laugh as they pass him.
7:30-Gabe & I arrive home and get ready for bed(for him)
8:00-Eric arrives home from chapel meeting
8:00-10:30-I read, but mostly don't answer e-mail and do some blogging. Eric studies comparative gov't.

So there you have it. I personally am feeling very stretched and often wonder if I can keep it up, but there are good parts. I'm very glad for the chance to be involved in Gabe's education and to have other moms to help me get through it. I'm so glad Gabe's such a sweet kid and that we get to do so much together, even if it isn't his idea of fun. In spite of Eric's crazy schedule he seems energized and is enjoying his responsibilities at school.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I loved reading this! It really helps imagine what it's like for you guys there. Thanks for taking the time to write this out. It would be fun for you to keep a copy to read years from now.

Sherrie said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us. I was tired after reading about your schedule but realize that "younger people" are generally blessed with more energy--and it's a good thing! I also enjoyed reading about your time in the village and the great pictures of Gabe and his friend.