Thursday, December 20, 2007

Definitely of the Devil

I just finished shelling 18 hard boiled eggs. I had a bunch of extra eggs and thought I would make devilled eggs for the Wolthuis/Goote Holiday party tomorrow night. Usually my hard boiled eggs turn out decent. Sometimes they are a bit hard to peel. To say this batch was hard to peel would be a vast understatement.

I began to peel the first egg and was discouraged at how difficult it was. I moved on, in hopes of finding a good one. It's always good to start off with a few easy ones to get in the groove, right? Well, there were no easy ones to be found. The peels weren't just coming off in tiny pieces...they were coming off in tiny pieces with big chunks of the white attached. I started to understand, perhaps, why there are called "devilled eggs" and began to think of several more sharp nicknames I could give.

At first I got frustrated. Thought of cooking another batch. Pitching this one. Making egg salad and subjecting my family to it for 6 days straight. Are cooked eggs compostable? But then I just started to laugh. This is something that would have thrown me a year ago. I would never have even considered serving these imperfect eggs at a party. Christmas party, no less! But I decided that I will. I'm sure Joseph and Mary weren't feasting on the finest of fare. As a testimony to what God has done in this recovering perfectionist, I can serve way imperfect food...as long as there is enough white left to hold the filling!

3 comments:

ang said...

I had this trouble earlier this year with a science experiment. I needed one perfect egg with which to do an experiment for the class. I had to use quail eggs and they were impossible to peel without chunks coming off. I later found that icing them for a while made peeling them pefectly much easier.

Anyway, I'm sure your eggs are very tasty.

jen said...

Whenever I hardboil two or three eggs to just have at home or make egg salad I never have problems. HOWEVER, whenever I have to do a whole bunch for deviled eggs I always have problems!! The last time I made them for the Wolthuis/Goote party (several years ago), my fingers were bleeding by the time I got them all peeled!!! At least they taste really good when they're done. I especially love them with a slice of green olive on top (since you are my olive buddy)!

Amy said...

To make matters worse...or should I say, more imperfect...I just stuffed them and added way to much salt! I could only laugh.