Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Noah's Dedication

For those of you who weren't there on Sunday, we had a special time to dedicate the littlest Wolthuis cousins, Noah and Tobin. I didn't have enough free time to take many pictures, so maybe Jen can post one of Tobin. Here is what I shared with our friends and family...

Dear, Sweet Noah,

I feel we already have a glimpse into the person God has created you to be: peaceful, tolerant, quick to smile, content and full of happiness. Your father says he doesn’t know anyone who is really happy and really intelligent, but maybe you can be the first. If not, and if I had to choose, I think this world needs more happy people.

Your middle name, John, came to us after a couple years of being deeply intrigued by the disciple John. In his gospel, he refers to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” I am captivated by the fact that he was so assured of God’s heart of love for him, that he was able to confidently, repeatedly refer to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” Could I define who I am with this testimony? I seek to learn the truth of this fact: I am loved. At times of trouble in my life, when I loose perspective, by the grace of God, He speaks to my deepest place and reminds me that he loves me, as I am, even if I don’t change, and I am centered and find peace again.

My prayer is that you will know you are loved…by me and your papa and, most amazingly, by your Papa God.

We called you Noah after the friend of God that comes to everyone’s mind – the one with the arc. I apologize in advance for all the rain and boat jokes you will endure. We chose this name because we admire and celebrate the courage it took Noah to walk out the call of God on his life. Can you imagine building a giant boat, waiting for a flood, with no sign of rain while the entire world looks on? Sometimes we can identify a bit with how that must have felt. We feel God’s nudge to lead a counter-cultural life that doesn’t always make sense and almost always blazes a new trail. Noah, you will grow up in a family that does things a little differently, with a father that isn’t afraid to seek out the voice of God and lead his family to obey the best they can, while the world looks curiously on.

My prayer is that you will grow to hear His voice for yourself and, even if there is no sign of rain and the world looks on, scratching their heads, you will have the courage to obey.

Love,

your mama

Posted by Picasa

No comments: