Some of you know how intense our life has been lately. I wouldn't trade the learning and growing for anything, but we hit the wall this week.Brian and I are learning about taking care of self and boundaries. In the past, this has always sounded like a nice excuse to NOT sacrifice, be available, give, etc. We have balked at boundary books and such. While I still think some of us use this excuse more than we should, this has been our personal season to learn where some of those lines are for us.
I am realizing that when we don't take proper care of ourselves, we aren't much help to those around us either. In fact, we can leave a trail of rubble if we are running on empty and don't attend to our own needs. Put simply: It is actually in your best interest for me to take care of myself.
I recently read in one of my Charlotte Mason books that every mom should be reading three books for herself and put time into her own interests and hobbies. I have had the tendency to think of things like this as "selfish" and "frivolous." Again, it can be a slippery slope, but I am realizing how being engrossed in a good book and being creative makes me a much happier and interesting person.
This week I started taking better care of myself: I made a small flock of these adorable birds. I think they will hang in the bathroom I want to re-paint. I made my killer sweet potato pie. The girls and I picked out fabric to make quilts for their beds. I dove into Memoirs of a Geisha. I've noticed our kitchen curtains really need replacing. I bought new bath towels that gave me a soft, plushy, hug after my shower this morning.
Here's to balance!
1 comment:
Your little birds look so sweet (and peaceful). I can't wait to see the whole "flock" in person. I'm so glad that you are finding some fun things for you that you enjoy! I agree, the balance is key. I just recently reemerged from a book that was starting to take over my waking hours. Although now I feel renewed vigor in refocusing on tasks at hand!
Post a Comment