As you know, Dad and I are finally dealing with all of Grandma's things (including Grandpa's and their parents'). Earlier this week, we discovered the high school yearbooks of both Grandma and Grandpa. As I looked through the pictures and messages written to them, I thought it sad that we never knew them then. Our memories of them are of old, ill, sometimes unpleasant people. I wish I had known them when they were young, vibrant, and interesting. Grandma's friends all wrote that she was a "swell" girl (apparently a common word in the '30's). As we've discovered so many of Grandpa's sketches and art work, we realize how talented he was. Had he lived, he would have had so many ideas about your remodeling projects. If he had his health, he would be the first to volunteer to help in any way he could.
I've often thought it would be nice if we (parents and children) could be the same age at the same time. We might understand one another better. I know it's not possible, but I wish I could have entered Grandpa and Grandma's world (even for a brief time) when they were young.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I used to think the same thing every time I saw my parents or grandparents baby pictures.
Post a Comment