Monday, March 20, 2006
Little Worker Guy
Eric and Ang, I hope you remember the Toolbox book you gave Sam a few Christmases ago. Well, I have been saving it until the winter he was three and today we pulled it out for the first time. He is totally inthralled and pretending to build all sorts of things with it. He started out building a wooden toy car for my "new baby." He gave it to me, then explained that it was "about this big" and painted. Then I asked if he could build me a bookshelf. He took in details about what I wanted it to look like. He popped his head in to ask if I wanted it made out of wood or construction, I chose wood. A few minutes later he returned with the finished product. (All of this is invisible, remember...with very serious and grown-up looks on his face, never cracking a smile.) He explained how it was exactly what I asked for and how he used a hammer and a screwdriver. I told him I was very pleased and asked what he charged. "Two and three inches." A second later, "Could you please watch my dog while I go to work? He can take a bath, if you want, he likes that and it's OK if he licks himself. OK?" I agreed and he entered the pantry for his drive to work, emerging another minute later. "I'm at work!" and off to make me a drum...a gold drum! (I got to choose between wood, metal, or gold.) Thanks for giving him something that is warming my heart today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad Sam is enjoying it so much. It's really funny how much he sounds like Gabe. A lot of those things are exactly the kind of thing that Gabe says. There's a lot of focus on details and seriousness about what he's doing. Gabe also tells us something costs so much or is so big and then throws in a random unit of measurement (inches, baht, kilos). Very often when we ask him how much something costs, he'll say 14/30 kilos.
So glad you're taking the time to observe, listen to, and record these precious conversations. Sounds as though Gabe and Sam both have wonderful imaginations.
Post a Comment