Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Getting the Hang of It

Last spring Brian and I decided to begin making our own bread...from the wheatberry. A friend is sharing her grain mill with me and we bought a wonderful machine that helps us do this five loaves at a time in about an hour. I think I have finally gotten the hang of it...Look! Isn't it beautiful? (Don't get the wrong impression...I didn't take pictures of the brick hard loaves and botched batches...including the one today. I had to pitch the starter and begin again, but it was worth it!)

Another memory worth noting from today. We were all sitting at the table tonight happily eating our pizza (made with the same homemade bread dough) and Lydia looks at Brian. "Papa, why is your face like that?" Brian: "What do you mean? God made it like this." Lydia: "You should smile more."
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

That loaf of bread deserves to be showcased! Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Thanks, Lydia, for the reminder--to all of us :)

jen said...

that looks like it should be in a display window of a bakery!! As Elinore would say "very yummy"

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful. Why do some loaves turn out hard? Also, why do grind your own grain?
Angela

Anonymous said...

Ang,
Hi! Sometimes I add too much flour, which makes heavy loaves, or too little, which turns it a bit doughy and not very fluffy. Also, twice my yeast didn't work because the water was too hot, so the loaves didn't rise at all. Bricks. I am by no means an expert, and I cannot tell you why these things are so, but I'm learning. Also, we grind our grain because it is so much more nutritious. Fresh ground whole wheat, if used within hours of milling, has tons of good stuff in it which slowly disappears while sitting on the shelf. Plus, fresh ground gives a much lighter texture than your typical whole wheat bread. It is very simple to do, if you have the right machines. We have simplified our eating habits and this bread is now one of our staples for breakfast, lunch and even snacks.
Sorry for the book. As you can tell, I like this stuff!
Amy