
Christmas this year was definitely different for Kevin and I. Everything in my mind seemed to revolve around when Elinore needed to eat and sleep. Christmas at Mom and Dad's was very relaxed this year. Sam amazed us all with the amount of patience he displayed while he waited for all of the slowpoke grown-ups to hurry up. It was nice to have the day to spend together laughing and lazing around.
Christmas Day, I had decided to cook a turkey. Kevin and I wanted to have lots of leftovers, so we had a 19lb turkey in our freezer. This year unveiled my procrastinating character. All I had decided up until Christmas morning was that I was going to cook the turkey. I did not think about how I wanted to cook it, how long it would take, what I would cook with it, whether it would fit in my roasting pan,... Needless to say, other members of my family were a bit frustrated with me (Kevin). I was frustrated with myself. The middle was still a bit frozen, too. Everything ended up being just fine. We made a glaze out of maple syrup and coated the top of the turkey with bacon. At the last minute we called Mom and Dad to see if they wanted to come over and help us eat it (which they did).
Yesterday afternoon/evening was spent at Ken and Karen's oohing and aahing over the deer blind (with elevator) that Ken and Joel built. It really was pretty cool. We saw the deer come out at dusk and enjoyed a yummy ham dinner.All we have left this year is to spend this coming weekend with my family, which I am rather excited about.
The only thing that I feel bummed about this season is that I didn't get a good dose of Christmas carols. I don't know what happened. It seemed like the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas went so fast, and I guess I just forgot to play them. I found myself on Christmas eve wishing I had a piano so that I could play and sing all the ones I missed this year. Not that I can really play the piano, but in my head I could. Next year I'll have to be more intentional about that.
Here are a couple photos from Christmas with the Wolthuises. Sorry this post got so long!
2 comments:
Jen, thanks for chronicling our family Christmas--with words and pictures. It was a relaxed time, after the busyness of the days leading up to Christmas. The little ones did so well, and I have some great pictures of them. We hope your Bodine Christmas is lots of fun; there will be no shortage of laps and shoulders for Elinore :)
Thanks for posting these pics of the family Christmas.
Post a Comment