Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Thoughts on Today

Each pregnancy so far has come with very few cravings, but each has brought an insatiable desire for chicken noodle soup. I'm not picky; Spartan or meager brand condensed style with two measly chicken bits floating in plenty of MSG-laden broth with a few skinny, soaked noodles does just fine. I'm ashamed to tell you how many cans I have already been through. Anyway, today I decided to make a bunch from scratch. So I now have two Dutch ovens full of the heart-warming stuff! Yippee!

Sam has been playing with Solomon today (age 6 and four-quarters, as reported by him...I suppose he's mostly correct, as he will be 7 mid-January.) Solomon lives kitty-corner in back of us and he is Sam's idea of a "big boy." He gets all of Solomon's hand-me-downs and Sam usually wants to incorporate them into his wardrobe immediately, though they are 2-3 sizes to big. Anyway, it has been fun to watch them interact as Sam grows. They play really well together one minute, then are quarrelling like brothers the next. I think that's why Solomon likes to play with him, because he is hoping for a little brother. Anyway, they are both so strong willed and rough and wimpy at the same time. One of them is usually bossing the other around, starting a sword fight, or whimpering from a sword fight wound. His first neighborhood friend! "Mom, can I go to Solomon's house?" It does make me feel a bit old. Oh well, lots of things do that, lately. Maybe because each day that is more true.

2 comments:

ang said...

Mmmm... I love making chicken soup

Sherrie said...

It still amazes me that Solomon's dad lived in the house next door to us. How nice that the sons can now be neighbors and friends.