Monday, February 20, 2006

Pretending and Preparing

Yesterday, our pastor, Mike, mentioned something in his sermon that made me think of our children and now our grandchildren. He talked about how little children often love to play "dress up," trying on shoes, hats, pants, etc. that are way too big for them. (Amy says that Lydia already likes to do this, and all of you spent many hours with the dress-up chest, especially when your cousins came over.) Mike said that though children are pretending to be grown-ups, they are also preparing to be adults. He then talked about us as Christians, sometimes "trying on" the necessary wardrobe of patience, purity, love, peace, etc. These "clothes" are often way too big, but God will grow us into them if we stay focused on becoming like Christ. They are gifts to receive, not works to achieve.

It was a memorable analogy and brought back many fond memories of you clumping around the house in too-big shoes and tripping on pants and dresses that were way too long. I'm sure I have an appropriate picture, and one of these days I will post some. (Promises, promises :)

No comments: