Thursday, April 06, 2006

Craft overload


We are back from our annual conference. For Eric & I, it's a very busy time. I had reports & presentations to prepare, in addition to trying to connect with people who we don't see all that often. Eric was the skit night coordinator, which isn't a huge job, but traditionally, the skit night coordinator prepares a few short sketches to put between acts. Eric & I decided to film the sketches. The theme was "Unseen Conference" a take-off on the "Unseen Thailand" theme. The films showed the ways in which the childcare team (a team from a church in the US) were exploiting the children for their own benefit. It sounds terrible, but it was actually hilarious. In Gabe's age group, they were running a craft sweatshop to finance their trip. In case you worry, none of them were offended. They played along very convincingly and asked for copies before they go back. Actually, Gabe was very productive in the area of crafts. Now that he is in preschool, I am realizing we are in the craft overload years. In previous years, he was in the nursery where all they did was play all day, every day. This year, he was in with the preschoolers and they did several crafts every day, which meant a large number by the end of the week. In addition, he usually comes home with 2-3 crafts from playgroup every day. I've had to just start throwing them away. Above is a pic of 2 of Gabe's favorite crafts from conference. Quite a number of 4-year-olds were spotted in this smashing ensemble. The 5-year-olds, who also made these, seemed to realize that they weren't very cool and hid them in their bags.

By the way, thanks to Kev so much for the firewire card. It made my life so much easier in doing these films. We will try to send you all a copy.

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

Pictures really are the highlight of this blog. Sounds as though you had a creative, productive week, and Gabe's "look" is beyond words. Sp glad he wasn't too cool to model it for us.

Amy said...

That's hilarious!! I love the picture. I have a friend who's almost-four-year-old is constantly making things out of junk drawer stuff by taping the stuff together. He doesn't permit her to throw anything away, though, so they have agreed that the creations are for "daddy's shop." Gabe doesn't get offended when you throw stuff out? Sam isn't much of a craft person. I think I'll have to contend with Lydia on this issue, though, as she already loves play dough and coloring. Can't wait to see you guys!

ang said...

Gabe has discovered the magic of tape in the last year and the wonder still hasn't abated. Most the crafts he makes himself consist of computer paper taped into unidentifiable shapes. Since he makes 5+ crafts per day, it's impossible to keep them all. He usually can't keep track of them. If he does protest, we keep it till he's ready to part with it. We're really looking forward to seeing you all too. We've stepped up the reminiscing about family so that he'll recognize everyone.

jen said...

This picture made me laugh out loud. I dread the day when I will have to secretly do away with an excess of crafts.