Today I have been thinking about my now very distant youth. I bought a pair of jelly shoes at the mall because I just couldn't resist revisiting that wonderful part of the 80's. They sell them in exactly the same style I wore in 5th grade. Also, we've been at camp this week and that has really brought me back as well. The kids played on a giant slip-and-slide which also reminded me of 5th grade which is when I first remembered the slip & slide becoming a part of summer. To be honest, I only played on the slip & slide once because the pain of diving onto it was too great. While I'm being honest, I might as well say that I never went to summer camp. However, I did go to a youth conference or two in middle school, and this camp had the same sort of feel to it. Whether Christian Camp or Christian Youth Conference, there is always a challenge to examine whether you're living your faith or not. As I watched the kids at the conference and their emotional response to these challenges, I felt like I was watching my younger self. I can remember leaving a youth conference with determination to really change the world for Christ. I always left wanting to be kinder, stronger, more devoted, more courageous and more of a light. I still felt like that as I left this this camp despite the fact that I'm 30 and this camp was aimed at 13-year-olds. I always imagined that by this age, and especially if I was working in full-time Christian work, that I would have become that person that I dreamed of being after a few days of inspirational messages. I guess I can't go into conference speaking yet because I'm not quite that person.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Back to the Future
Today I have been thinking about my now very distant youth. I bought a pair of jelly shoes at the mall because I just couldn't resist revisiting that wonderful part of the 80's. They sell them in exactly the same style I wore in 5th grade. Also, we've been at camp this week and that has really brought me back as well. The kids played on a giant slip-and-slide which also reminded me of 5th grade which is when I first remembered the slip & slide becoming a part of summer. To be honest, I only played on the slip & slide once because the pain of diving onto it was too great. While I'm being honest, I might as well say that I never went to summer camp. However, I did go to a youth conference or two in middle school, and this camp had the same sort of feel to it. Whether Christian Camp or Christian Youth Conference, there is always a challenge to examine whether you're living your faith or not. As I watched the kids at the conference and their emotional response to these challenges, I felt like I was watching my younger self. I can remember leaving a youth conference with determination to really change the world for Christ. I always left wanting to be kinder, stronger, more devoted, more courageous and more of a light. I still felt like that as I left this this camp despite the fact that I'm 30 and this camp was aimed at 13-year-olds. I always imagined that by this age, and especially if I was working in full-time Christian work, that I would have become that person that I dreamed of being after a few days of inspirational messages. I guess I can't go into conference speaking yet because I'm not quite that person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ang,
I'm showing my age, but what are jelly shoes? Do you have a picture of them? I really relate to your repeated vows to become more (whatever) after being at a camp, conference, etc. I think our lives are a series a "fresh starts," and hopefully even conference speakers recognize their need for challenges and inspiration, so necessary for growing in Christ. We all should be lifelong learners. Thanks for the reminder.
Ang,
I can't believe you've got jellies! And that you're wearing them! I totally had some, but I was younger than fifth grade. I was more like 2nd grade, and mine were pink. You really should post a picture of them so that we can all relive a moment of 80's childhood.
Post a Comment