Friday, October 21, 2005

Nothing Special

I guess the week has been somewhat like the title of this entry--just an ordinary week. After reading about yet another hurricane, I feel blessed by the ordinariness of our lives right now. We are all in our homes, have electricity, water, etc., and have been able to go and do the assignments we've been given. I hope no one will refrain from writing because nothing major or exciting has happened. A blog can be about our thoughts--and our thoughts about our thoughts.

We so enjoyed the shower Sunday. Aunt Pat, Sara, and Mardy did such a great job with everything, and seeing Grandpa there was a real bonus. I talked to Bette last night, and she said he has improved even since Sunday. She has even left him alone for a short time to go play tennis. His appetite seems to be improving, and he continues to get some PT a few times a week. They are even hoping to come to the birthday party for Sam and Lydia. I am amazed.

As I tutor Debra who is trying so hard to get her GED, I appreciate anew the mastery of language exhibited by all of you who write on this blog. You all write so well and can find just the right word to express your thoughts. This in turn will be passed along to your children. Dad and I were just commenting the other night on how well (correctly) Sam speaks already. Trying to help Debra (age 47) "catch up" in this language area is so daunting. Just yesterday she discovered that "idea" and "ideal" are two separate words with different meanings. We take so much for granted--even in the area of our language skills.

Well, time to get into the real world of laundry and grocery shopping. We hope you all have a pleasant weekend and share some thoughts if you have time. We agree with Eric and Ang that this blog helps keep us in one another's "loop." Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be surprised to hear from me, but I finally read some of the interesting Wolthuis tidbits and wanted to add a comment to Sherrie's thoughts about language. For the past couple of weeks, I have been assessing and working with kindergartners. I am so amazed (aghast?) that so many of them come to school after five years of life and know so little! Apparently, they have been set in front of the TV and had very few meaningful conversations. Some of these parents feel that this is not their responsibility, but the school's. The gaps between these children and the more advantaged ones are so huge that they are very difficult to overcome. (It can be done, however, if it addressed early enough!)
That's my 2 cents worth for today. It's really fun to read your tidbits and view the pic's!

Sherrie said...

So good to hear from you. I'm glad you're enjoying this blog. Hope you'll comment more often.

Your new program is designed to do early intervention for some of these children, right? I'm sure Debra's children are also victims of "the gap." It certainly would be better to address this problem at the "front end" rather than try to deal with it forty years later.