Friday, November 04, 2005

Addicted?

Yesterday our phone lines went out around noon, and didn't return until this morning. Brian and I were chatting about how dependant we are on them, after hearing threatening news that they might not return until Sunday. 'What is this, the third world?" "I wonder who has tried to call us today." "What if someone in our block works at home and uses the internet?" "What if Jen start labor?" "I'm sure there are people without cell phones!" "What if someone is bidding on ebay and now can't check it?" "I won't be able to check the blog!" All the sudden it seemed like there was information out there that we needed, even though we didn't know what it was. Secretly, I was glad we wouldn't be consuming our evening with the computer and it was nice having no phone calls for the day. Now, here we are: The phones haven't been ringing off the hook, Jen is still very pregnant, nothing has changed on the blog, and I only got one email...a Bill!!

1 comment:

jen said...

We are so addicted. I realized yesterday and today (our lines were out all day today as well) how much I use the phone/internet. I think the thing we find so annoying is that we expect it to be available, but then it isn't. When I didn't have the internet in my house (my senior year at Hope), I was perfectly content heading to the library to check my email once in a while. Now that I'm used to having it at my fingertips all the time, not having is like withdrawal. Interesting to think about "addiction" as applying to things other than drugs/alcohol...