Saturday, November 26, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN !

We hope you have a very happy 25th birthday. It will be an extra special day as it is your first one as a mom. Hopefully, Elinore will cooperate and let you get some rest and relaxation. Glad you got back safely from your Chicago Thanksgiving.

One of Dad's colleagues from Hope, Dr. Janet Andersen, chairwoman of Hope's Math Department, was killed in white-out conditions here Thursday morning as she returned from a Thanksgiving church service. Her husband was only slightly injured. She taught at Hope since 1991 so I'm wondering if any of you ever had her for a math course. She was only 47. Her death is a major loss to the college, the community, and beyond. She had authored several math textbooks. They aren't sure who will finish teaching her classes.

I'm not posting much since our computer has been "down" since Thursday. Dad will be taking it in for repairs--not much debate about where we should take it :) I'm writing this on Dad's laptop, which takes a bit of getting used to. So...we'll rely on the rest of you to keep us current. Mom

2 comments:

ang said...

Wow, I can't believe that Dr. Anderson was killed. I had her for a year of calculus and I really liked her. She was one of my favorite profs at Hope and an excellent teacher. That is really sad. How old are her children now?

Sherrie said...

Ang,
It said in the paper that her son was a Hope grad and is married. Her daughter is a 2005 grad of Tulane University. We will probably go to the visitation tomorrow. The memorial service is at Dimnent on Wednesday. Dad worked with her on the Greek Life Task Force. I'll try to send you some articles about her. Everyone who is quoted talks about what an excellent and creative teacher she was. She also contributed a great deal on the national level. Very sad!