Monday, November 07, 2005

Weekend Highlights

It was our last weekend before Dad leaves for Turkey, and it was very busy, but in a most enjoyable way. On Saturday, we witnessed a beautiful ceremony in which Andy Van Hekken married Alina, one of Dad's former students. Sara Luneack sang, and the reception was at the Blue Dress Barn, a real barn way out in the country. It of course was transformed by lights, music, a dance floor, etc. It was more fun than the usual "former student" weddings because we knew so many people--friends and relatives of Andy. We were able to catch up a bit with Dan Pike, Peter Hunsberger, Charley Vandenberg (and his family), etc. All in all, a great evening.

Yesterday, I was privileged to take part in the installation service for our new Minister of Congregational Care. He asked me because of our "long history;" I was one of his high school teachers. He mentioned that during the service, and many people asked me later how I could be that much older than he is since he is in his 50's. One lady said she figured I would have to be 25 years older than he is. I quickly explained that I started teaching at age 22, and he was 15, so....... In the evening, our Growth Community discussed our pastor's sermon--"God is Looking for a Church Home." We talked about what kind of church God would feel at home in and is our church that kind of church. Many people participated, and it was a stimulating evening.

Now it's Monday, and I just washed underwear so Dad can start packing for Turkey. Hopefully, he'll write something about his trip before he leaves. And he REALLY would like to meet Elinore before he leaves :) Mom

1 comment:

ang said...

25 years! Wow, she must have been surprised to see you so spry for being 75 years old.