Sunday, September 04, 2005
My two baht
Howdy gang...thought it about time for me to write something, especially now that I can do this at home. Best try to get up to speed before we go really high tech with, like, a cordless phone or DSL or something...Thanks for the pictures, B&A...looks like a great place to be a kid. On a related note, where did you happen to get that mat with all the roads, etc.? Gabey is into cars big time these days...Anyway, thanks for starting this up (Jen), and for all the "blogs" (sounds a bit like something you cough up, yes?) Seems like a great way to get stuff "out." E
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It was a little funny for me to read your post. Your sentence structure didn't seem quite...american. I can tell you've been in a foreign language for a while. When I was studying in France, my dad emailed me and mentioned that my sentence construction was looking more French and less American. I couldn't tell because, of course, I was in the midst of it. However, reading your post reminded me of that.
That's a good thing, by the way!
Good to hear from you (and Brian and Dad)!!
Jen,
I didn't respond right away to this as I had to think about it. You see, if our speech has changed, it's been imperceptible to us. However, last night we went to see Neil Anderson speak to a large Thai audience. He had a translator who struggled a little bit and I kept thinking, "Why is he speaking that way. His translator won't understand that sentance structure or those words." Then I realized that we do modify our speech quite a bit, especially around Thais. Even before we learned Thai we learned "Tinglish" which is the English best understood by Thais. Eric's situation is a bit more complex as he also speaks English with Europeans and Kiwis regularly. I guess that's why we find ourselves referring to ketchup as tomato sauce.
Post a Comment