Saturday, September 03, 2005

Katrina

I have attempted to listen/watch some news on this every day. I can't put out of my mind how maddening it is to see poor, black families put into deeper hell by being subjected to living like pigs in that superdome. I know everyone is supposedly doing all they can to get help there, but hearing how people are stealing from eachother just to survive, seeing dehydrated, naked children and watching the dead be covered with sheets and pushed to the edge of the sidewalks...it's just inhumane. It is so unfair that the weathy escape and the poor are left to suffer. I can't put into words how desperate I feel to do something that actually helps. I wish we were close enough to offer housing.

This quote from Sojourner's Magazine:
The final irony of New Orleans is that the people who normally fill the Louisiana Superdome are those who can afford the high cost of tickets, parking, and concessions. Now its inhabitants are the poor, especially children, the elderly and the sick - those with nowhere else to go. Those with money are nowhere to be seen.

I heared last night that a caravan finally arrived with goods. Let's pray it gets better from here and we really learn how to help our fellow man.
Amy

1 comment:

jen said...

I know what you mean. It is amazing to me that when situations get so out of hand, we almost lose our humanity. We become sort of like animals, doing whatever it takes to survive out of desperation. Like the panic on that bridge in Iraq where something like 1000 people were trampled - many of them children. I can't understand how something like that would happen. Fear is so powerful!

I feel like I'm on overload with all of the New Orleans media coverage. It's all depressing; there are so few positive things happening, and there's nothing that I can do except donate money.