Thursday, September 29, 2005

Stuck in a rice paddy

Today I was taking three boys home from Gabe's "new, new preschool" as he calls it. Jamin, Mathias and Gabe were all speculating on the ways you could get into our moobaan. I told them that I knew a way they had never seen before, and they were intrigued. They asked if we could see the new way. I felt a bit nervous since I had three children in the car and that road is rather narrow, but I thought "There's not a lot of traffic at this time, I'll show them." This road goes through some areas of thick vegetation and rice fields and is quite tortuous. So I was going slowly to make sure I had enough time to swerve if anyone should be driving carelessly. I was almost to the end of the road when someone did come along taking more than their share of the road. As they passed, I veered a bit too far and felt my wheel go off the side of the road. We had landed one wheel on a low rice paddy and I could tell from the drop that there was no way I could get back onto the road. I got out and was relieved to see that the tire itself was resting on the ground and nothing was damaged, however, it was at least six inches below the road bed. Had I gone off only 2 feet earlier, I would have done serious damage to the front end. I called Mathias' parents to come and bring a board and a jack. As I was waiting for them, 2 farmers came down the road. One was carrying a big machete. The machete carrier didn't even speak to me, just started sizing up the situation. I wasn't quite sure what he was going to do, I just hoped it wouldn't involve the machete. A minute later, the truck that had driven me off the road came back with a load of people. Meanwhile, a bunch of random passers-by stopped to see the show. Still without speaking to me, the men consulted about what was to be done. They decided on lifting the car with their combined muscle power. This is not something I would have believed anyone would attempt as it would involve lifting and pushing at the same time. Their first couple of attempts failed miserably. The group included both young and old, none as large as westerners. As more guys saw what was being tried, they also stopped to offer their muscles. They must have tried 10 times before they even got close to their goal. Finally, with a mighty "Neung, Song, SAAAAM!" (1-2-3), they lifted the car and actually slid it sideways. Mario and Maariane were just into to witness the amazing spectacle.

It has amazed me that every time I have been stranded in Thailand someone (or many people) have stopped to help me. Every time, they had gotten me on my way in a very short time. I am really grateful for how God has blessed us throughThai strangers.

Needless to say, I don't think I'm going to be taking that road again.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

I'll bet there are three little boys who won't soon forget the excitement of "the other way home." How are you doing, weather-wise?

Amy said...

It seems that you are better taken care of there than you would have been if the same thing happened to you on a road in the states! We miss you guys, but are so thankful for the provision of God in your life. We love you!

ang said...

Amy,
I'm always amazed by the willingness of people to help a stranger here. I don't want to idealize the Thai people, but I have been so impressed by their generosity of spirit. I have at times offered money to people who have fixed my car or done some invaluable service for me, but my money is always refused. I often feel put to shame by my inability to freely give and receive.