Lately, as pregnancy progresses, the changes in my body have been more pronounced. I rode my bike to my friend Becky’s house last week. She only lives about 4 blocks away, but it was quite a challenge. I had trouble reaching the handlebars due to the little one under my ribs. About 1 block into the ride, I could feel myself beginning to huff and puff. “Maybe I can’t ride my bike anymore,” I thought. “But I’ve always been able to ride my bike.” Even little things like bending over to tie my shoes leave me out of breath. It is so strange finding difficulty in doing things that I’ve always been able to do. More and more I find myself longing for my old body back. I don’t think I appreciated it enough. I realized that this must be what it’s like as you grow older. Your body starts not being able to do the things you’ve always been able to do. You long for the vitality and strength that you had when you were young. I can imagine how frustrating that must be.
Anyway, I just had that thought/connection. I have quite a while to take advantage of youth, and I intend to do just that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jen,
I can certainly identify. During the first couple of months of pregnancy I couldn't wait till I was "more pregnant". Then when I was more pregnant I couldn't wait not to be pregnant anymore. After Gabe was born, I took constant pleasure in the fact that I wasn't pregnant for a long time. In some ways it changed my outlook for good. I really enjoyed making the most of an able body after the pregnancy was over in a way I never had before.-Angela
I loved being pregnant (i.e. big, huge belly) for many reasons: 1) I felt I could still do most of what I could always do...I just noticed that there was an extention of me out front, of which I loved being reminded 2) I never ceased to amaze myself at the miracle my body was performing and that outweighed my discomfort 3) but most of all I think it gave me an excuse to not care about my waistline for a little while. we are so pressured, as women, to have a flat tummy, of which I have never been gifted, no matter how hard I try. ironically enough, i just got out of the shower and spent an embarrassing amount of time looking at just that...if only I could hold it in like this forever...if only I could just cut this off...if only I was pregnant again, then it wouldn't matter! no, this is NOT an announcement :)
anyway, I can identify with what you are saying, but not in reference to pregnancy, rather to life now, after two kids and coming upon 30 years of life. I don't think I appreciated my teenage body enough.
oh, that was Amy who just posted, by the way...didn't want anyone to get confused...sorry
Don't get me wrong. I am very much enjoying being pregnant. My belly is amazing me with all it is doing, I love looking at it - it looks so full of life. I am excited every time I feel a kick or see it move! I just am realizing and being grateful for the youth and ability I had been taking for granted. At least for me, I know that I will be able to do cartwheels again in 6 months or so (if I really want to). But for someone like our grandparents, they know that they will continue to decline - steadily. It must take a strong will to maintain a positive outlook and genuinely happy character.
And in 6 months, you'll have your baby to hold and look at:) That's the best part.
Having just spent the day with Grandpa, listening as he wished for the strength and vitality of his younger years, I truly value what I can still do at my age. Watching Grandma during her last years made me incredibly grateful for being able to run up and down the stairs, crawl into a corner to retrieve something, sit on the floor with Sam at the library, etc., etc. I think I took all of this somewhat for granted in my earlier years, but certainly not now! Mom W.
Post a Comment