Monday, August 22, 2005

Let's Go Fly a Kite


Summer continues full of the wonderful things I associate with it. Driving to the orchard to pick peaches, holding the fuzzy fruits in my hands, eating them right off the tree, and baking fresh peach pie. An evening at the beach, Kevin plunging through the waves. Walking through the farmers' market, amazed at how beautiful their produce looks (even the onions look like jewels). Evenings on the porch (now that it's getting cooler) hearing kids playing basketball at the park mixed with our yard's infestation of chirping crickets.

Our camping weekend was lots of fun as I am sure some others will post. The weater was generally very enjoyable, the food was great, and evenings around the campfire eating some delectable dessert and talking together was what I looked forward to most.

What I feel most compelled to write about happened after we came home. It was Sunday about 2:30pm. We only had about 2 hours before we needed to leave for church and lots of things we wanted to get done before then. As Kev and I were unloading the back of the truck our neighbor Jake, who is about 10 years old, was heading across the street to the park with his kite. Every good windy day he takes it over. Sometimes he goes with his dad, sometimes his sisters, today a friend. I've never noticed that he's gotten it up in the air.
"If you have trouble, I'll come over and help you," Kev told him as he headed across the street. Within five minutes we both knew he was not going to get that kite in the air. Kev started over and called back to me to bring over our kite as well. Our kite went right up, so I stood there flying it and talking with Jake's sister (12), but Jake's kite was having problems. There was not enough string and the kite was too heavy. Kev was there with him for a good hour helping him. Everytime Jake started to get discouraged Kevin thought of a new thing to try.

Both of us sort of forgot about the things we had wanted to get done. It just felt so free, kite-flying and hanging out with the neighbor kids. That's why we wanted to buy this house. We wanted to love kids, be a good influence, and build relationships. Since we bought the house last summer, we've been so busy working on it (feeling desperately guilty about any time we take off) that we haven't given time to what we feel is our purpose here. I know we still need to finish our house, but flying that kite today gave me a vision that our purpose is still here. It isn't going anywhere. It is rich and beautiful. I feel so excited and encouraged.
jen

No comments: